• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC Exam

Debi

I took the CPC exam this last Saturday, take about stressful. Then I ended up with a migraine in the middle of the exam. My left eye started to close like it usually does. By the end of the exam, I just wanted to cry. I know that I blew this test because of my migraine. I have been battling them for years. I have always been a horrible test taker. I got the Blitz videos which were a tremendous help. But I still struggled. :( I studied all the time, at work on breaks, and at home. Thankfully my husband and kids understood that I need to do this. I just feel like I messed this one up and have a feeling like I didn't pass.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Debi don't worry. You are allowed to take it twice. That is one of the great things about the AAPC. How awful about your migraines. Stress didn't help I am sure. Now IF you have to take it again you should be more comfortable. You know what to expect and that is one of the greatest fears out there about the exam, not knowing what to expect.

(whisper) I took it twice! Took my CPC-I twice also. No big deal!!!! shhhhhhh......

Debi

Alicia, Thank you for your kind words. I get kind of scared when the migraines come, I have lost my vision twice due to the severity of the migraine, so I am very careful when I feel them coming on. But it was not like I could have walked out of the exam. If I don't get it this time. I will have to save up to pay for it again. But I am determined. :)

This was my second time taking the exam, I got a 69% on the first one. but I went back and changed my answers on that one. this one once I was done I just closed the book. I remember my A & P teacher always telling me that I need more confidence in myself and not to change my answers, that it was hurting my grade, so I didn't go back. There were some questions that I just shrugged my shoulders. I work for a very small hospital and half of the procedures that are talked about we do not do here. I am doing this for me, when I was going to school I always told my mom that I wanted to get certified. And when she passed away she reminded me that I needed to keep that goal. It has been three years now, and I am just finally getting enough courage in myself to take the exam. I have been working as a coder for almost 5 years, and love my job. I like learning new things and I am always signing up to learn something new.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
If you were to get sick you can stop the exam. Just let the proctor know it is a migraine and call the AAPC to let them know you got sick during the exam and would like to reschedule another sitting. In fact you might call them and let them know if you don't pass so they can be aware of it. It happens you know.

You can do it!

Debi

Thank you again Alicia, But I feel that it was my responsibility to take the exam, I did not let the proctors know, so I will deal with what my fate will be for this test. I just have to keep on belieiving that I can achieve what I want in life. Not let the little things get to me. I appreciate the CCO website, it has been very helpful and the people here are so pleasant. I hope that maybe one day I will be able to achieve great things.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The sky is not the limit because there are footprints on the moon!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Terrific! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Oh Debi, that is great new! Here you were worried and even feeling sick YOU PASSED!

You ROCK!

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
How thrilling! Here I was reading your account. Your past attempt. Your determined efforts. Your worries. Your pains. Your family. And You Passed!!! You Are Certified!!! Congrats!

PS. I think you should sign up to be one of CCO's upcoming Webinar interview guests. I'd love to hear how you got into coding. When/why did you decide on becoming certified? What certification you chose and why? Do you have further certification or career goals involving coding/billing? What suggestions do you have for coder wannabes? For new coders? For seasoned coders debating certification and so on? (Sheesh! I better stop before I get turned in for harrassment. LOL. Leave a girl alone to enjoy her new credentials for just a moment. ;) )

Debi

How thrilling! Here I was reading your account. Your past attempt. Your determined efforts. Your worries. Your pains. Your family. And You Passed!!! You Are Certified!!! Congrats!

PS. I think you should sign up to be one of CCO's upcoming Webinar interview guests. I'd love to hear how you got into coding. When/why did you decide on becoming certified? What certification you chose and why? Do you have further certification or career goals involving coding/billing? What suggestions do you have for coder wannabes? For new coders? For seasoned coders debating certification and so on? (Sheesh! I better stop before I get turned in for harrassment. LOL. Leave a girl alone to enjoy her new credentials for just a moment. ;) )
Hi Luna,

I did attend the Webinar this past Thursday, I was amazed that everyone was so down to earth and accomadating to the new people that were on the chat and webinar for the first time. I have never used Twitter before so that was a new experience. Hmm, how I got into coding. I was going through a divorce I had a 4,3, and 4 month old, with the support of my mom she told me that I should go back to school, that she would watch the kids while I was at school and work. So I started that adventure. I worked from 10 pm to 6 am cam home slept for 2 hours and went to school durning the day. After a 1 1/2 I was ready to graduate with 2 degrees and 5 certificates. I figured as long as I was going to school I might as well make the best of it. While I was in the last semester of school I applied for a job at a local hospital and I was offered the position as a Clinic Coder, and have been there ever since. Before my mom passed away from a stroke 3 years ago I promised that I would take my certification test. It took me this long to get the nerve to take the test. I am so happy that I passed and I know she is too, even though she is not with us.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
What an amazing story. You are a woman possessing much fortitude. Thank you for letting me "harass" you with so many questions.
Glad you enjoyed your first Webinar. I never used Twitter before coming to CCO either. In fact, I still don't use it much except for Webinar.
And again, congrats on your credentials and degrees.

Nevergiveup

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Practicoder
Congrats debi. Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure your mom is looking down on you and proud of u. Congrats again.

Debi

Thank you for all the congratualtions! I just for the A removed from my CPC also. Yea. so proud right now.